Test Scores Shut Doors
High Stakes And Excessive Testing Harms Our Children
Do You Know About NYC's New Testing Plan?
Do You Know About High Stakes Tests?
- Every child -- K-12 -- will be tested every 6-8 weeks
- $25 million has been set aside to develop these tests.
Do You Know What's Wrong With High Stakes Tests?
- Tests in which a single score determines promotion or graduation.
- Our children must pass 5 Regents exams to receive a HS diploma.
- 3rd, 5th and 7th graders MUST pass citywide tests to be promoted to the next grade.
- A child who fails a single test by a single point will not be promoted or graduate.
High stakes tests don't measure higher level thinking skills. They donít measure our childrenís ability to:
Do You Know How High Stakes and Excessive Tests Impact Schools?
- Think critically;
- Be creative;
- Solve problems.
More and more time is spent on preparing for and taking tests. High Stakes tests have turned our schools into test prep factories that:
Do You Know Why Private Schools Refuse To Give High Stakes Tests?
- Leave little (or no) time for art, music and drama programs.
- Drastically reduce badly needed periods of physical education.
- Severely limit (or eliminate) class trips to NYCís world-class cultural and scientific institutions.
- Test prep narrows what gets taught and takes the joy out of learning.
They know that these tests cheat kids out of a first class education because:
Do You Know Who Profits From These Tests?
- A curriculum of "drill and kill" test prep makes learning dull and simplistic.
- A good education requires more than just reading and math skills.
- High Stakes tests do not prepare children for college.
Testing companies like McGraw Hill and Princeton Review make huge profits.
These profits are made at the expense of our childrenís education.
Do You Know Who Is Hurt Most By High Stakes Tests?
WE NEED TEACHING NOT TESTING!
- ALL students are hurt, but especially low income students and children of color.
- Children with learning disabilities are penalized.
- English Language Learners are discriminated against.
- Children who are poor test-takers.
Download this FACT sheet in English (PDF)
Download this FACT sheet in Spanish (PDF)
Let's Boycott April 2013 StateTests|
Parents can refuse to allow their child to take the State high stakes
tests. Hand in this
letter to your principal [other formats: .pdf .odt .doc]. Send your
child to school and ask that an alternative activity be planned for
him/her during the 6 days of testing.
FLYER TO DUPLICATE:
Opt Out New York
New material to support the April Boycott.
Please share this Powerpoint!
Developed by a Long Island parent.
Did You Know?
Did you know that charter schools in New York City enroll fewer students who qualify for free lunch and fewer homeless students?
Music Video: "Not on the Test"
Produced by: Public School Test Records and Grammy Award-winner Tom Chapin